Archive for September 8th, 2008|Daily archive page
To be fair, this recipe evolved from something I found on the Zaar: Clicky. However, it wasn’t gluten free, so we made it that way!!!
2 tablespoons butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, chopped fine, divided
about 30 oz. tomato sauce
1 cup water
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cumin
black pepper and salt (to taste)
1 lb. ground beef
2 cups refried beans
1-2 cups cheddar cheese
12 corn tortillas
1 bunch cilantro, chopped coursely
2 large tomatoes, ripe!!!, chopped coursely
1) Melt your butter in a decent sized sauce-pan. Add garlic and 1/2 of onion and saute until browning starts. Add chili powder, paprika, cumin, pepper and salt and cook for about a minute to toast spices. Add tomato sauce and water. Bring to a low boil and simmer for about 30 minutes with the lid on.
2) In a large skillet, brown your beef along with the rest of the onion until onion and beef are both completely cooked. Drain off any excess grease and return meat and onion to the pan.
3) Add about 2/3 of the tomato sauce mixture to the beef, then the beans. Stir over low heat until everything is fully integrated.
4) Take your corn tortillas in your hand, put a little cheese down the middle, then the beef/bean/sauce mixture. (Go easy, these guys need to be able to close!!) Roll tortilla up (you can use the beans to kinda stick the torilla sides down) and place seam-side down in a large baking dish.
5) Once all 12 tortillas are in the dish, spoon the remaining red sauce over the tortillas, being sure that all are covered.
6) Bake at 350 F for about 20 minutes, covered.
7) Remove the cover, add the remaining cheese, cilantro and tomato pieces. Return to oven for about 10 minutes.
8) Remove from oven and allow to cool.